Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fuel That Takes You Further

With the recent hike in petrol price, I think its about time I share the result of an experiment I conducted myself to determine the fuel that took me furthest, in kilometer terms of course. Before the introduction of Ron 95, a full tank of fuel could fetch me up to 400 km for a city drive and almost 500 km for long distance drive. But when Ron 95 was introduced, I was puzzled why a full tank of fuel could only fetch me about 320-330 km. Since I'm not a car enthusiast, my main concern is only for a full tank of fuel to get me furthest. Performance of my car is irrelevant. I just want value for my money. So I conducted this simple experiment.

First, let me explain how the experiment was conducted. I used my MyVi as the subject. For every refuel, I will fill up my tank full. The kilometer count starts after each refuel. The count stops when the fuel indicator starts blinking. For every brand of fuel, at least 5 rounds of kilometer counts was conducted. Kilometer count is only conducted for city drive. There were a few brand analyzed. Let's just name them green, yellow, red and blue/white brands. All other brands are ignored since they are not easily available near my place.



Green Brand
I've been using the green brand ever since I had a car. But after the introduction of Ron 95, I wondered why can't the same fuel take me the same distance as before. Post Ron 95, this fuel could only take me up to 320-330 km per full tank. That's about 70 km less than what it could before. That means I had to spend more money on fuel.

Yellow Brand
Second up was the yellow brand. Yellow brand performed slightly better. With a full tank, I can go up to 340-350 km.

Red Brand
After that, I tried the red brand. The red brand is even better. I can go up to 360 km per full tank.

Blue/White Brand
The last fuel that I tried was the blue/white brand. For a full tank, I could fetch up to 380 km. Out of all, this is the fuel that took me furthest.

As much as I want to be patriotic, I also want value for my money. I hope the green brand will buckle up and introduce a better product with their Ron 95 so that it can take me further with each full tank. Until then, I would be using the blue/white brand.

2 comments:

MFB said...

I was told by a colleague who happen to work at Kerteh refinery that all hijau, kuning, merah take their load from the same refinery, same quality. I'm not sure how true this is though. Anyway, my point is you have assumed that those hijau merah etc were different. What if they were exactly the same? Would you arrive at the same conclusion then?

gerbert said...

my conclusion was based on the kilometers each fuel could take me. product of refinery does not mean that the same comes out at the petrol station. that's why they have diff names for each brand. additive are added by each brand to enhance their products. even the colours are different. how can the products be the same?

i was told that hijau brand was actually not prepared to introdue the RON 95. that's why they lag behind. unlike other brands, they alerady have RON 95 products sold in other countries. thats why their products are better. hopefully hijau brand will enhance their product.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails